It stands for Disk Operating System
It is an acronym for several computer operating systems that are operated by using the command line.
MS-DOS dominated the IBM PC compatible market between 1981 and 1995
DOS’s structure of accessing hardware directly makes it ideal for use in embedded devices.
Some of the DOS systems are as given below
§ PC DOS
§ Multiuser DOS
§ DOS Plus
· 86-DOS was an operating system developed and marketed by Seattle Computer Products (SCP) for its Intel 8086-based computer kit.
· Initially known as QDOS (Quick and Dirty Operating System) the name was changed to 86-DOS
· It was developed by Seattle Computer Products and Tim Paterson.
· It was written in 8086-Assembly language
· It’s a closed source model
· MS-DOS acronym for Microsoft Disk Operating System
· It was the most commonly used member of the DOS family of operating systems.
· It was gradually superseded by operating systems offering a graphical user interface(GUI)
· It was developed by Microsoft.
· It’s written in 8086 assembly.
· IBM PC DOS (Acronym for International Business Machines Corporation Personal Computer Disk Operating System)
· It was developed by IBM and Microsoft.
· It is written in Assembly language and C.
· PC-DOS remained a rebranded version of MS DOS until 1993.
· PC-DOS (Personal Computer – Disk Operating System) was the first widely-installed operating system used in personal computers.
· Multiuser DOS is a real-time multi-user multi-tasking operating system for IBM PC-compatible microcomputers.
· It was developed by Digital Research,Inc
· It’s of monolithic kernel type
· Linux is a full-fledged multiuser, multitasking operating system.
· MS-DOS is a single-user, single-tasking operating system.
· It is able to run programs written for either CP/M-86 or MS-DOS 2.11, and can read and write the floppy formats used by both these systems
· It also contains subsets of the standard DOS commands and CP/M commands – for example, it has both a built-in COPY command, and a PIP utility, both of which copy files.
· DOS Plus was the main operating system in ROM for the Philips